LISA IX - Code of Conduct
Library and Information Services in Astronomy (LISA)is a series of scientific meetings intended for networking and collaboration for librarians, information professionals, scientists and others. We value the participation of each member of the community and want all attendees to have an enjoyable and fulfilling experience. Accordingly, all attendees are expected to show respect and courtesy to other attendees throughout the conference and at all conference events.
At LISA IX, all delegates, attendees, speakers, exhibitors, organisers and volunteers at any LISA IX event are required to conform to the following Code of Conduct. This is adapted from the Code of Conduct for the Royal Astronomical Society’s online National Astronomy Meeting. The organisers are committed to enforcing this code throughout the event, and any decision taken by the organisers in respect of it is final.
Code of Conduct
The organisers of LISA IX are dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion or nationality. We will not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form.
All communication should be appropriate for a professional audience including people of many different backgrounds. In particular, sexual language and imagery is not appropriate during any conference activity, including during any informal social gatherings outside the official programme.
Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Written or verbal comments which have the effect of excluding people on the basis of membership of any specific group, such as gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion or nationality. This includes sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or exclusionary jokes.
- Comments made, either through speech or chat on any meeting-related online platform (including social media), that are exclusionary, derogatory, or threatening toward another participant or community.
Sexual language and imagery.
- Violent threats or language directed against another person, including incitement to violence, suicide, or self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following.
- Harassing photography or recording.
- Continuing to initiate interaction (including photography or recording) with someone after being asked to stop.
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviour.
All LISA IX participants, including exhibitors and guests, are subject to the anti-harassment policy. If an individual is made aware that they are contravening these guidelines or making participants uncomfortable, they are expected to desist immediately.
The LISA IX organisers retain the right to take any actions to maintain a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender, at the sole discretion of the organisers, or expulsion from the conference with no refund.
The LISA IX organisers may take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting the event or making the environment hostile for any participants.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all event venues and social activities, whether organised by the conference or informally by other participants.